Group Meetings

          This week in class I had the opportunity of talking to peers from various groups. We shared ideas, tips, blog posts, and helped each other better our projects. We all seem to be in the same place; we have general ideas and a rough sketch of what direction we would like to take our film openings in. One group is doing a boxing movie, two groups are doing dramas, and another peer mentioned that they were going to try to combine horror, drama, and comedy. The entire exercise really helped to guide my group and me into a more detailed path. 
          Various students suggested that I first plan out the end before I commence the film. They tell me that if I have a rough idea of what the entire film comprises, I will be better able to determine which aspects of the film I should emphasize and/or hide in the opening. We also talked about various shots and angles that ought to be used in the film opening. Many students agreed that the most crucial shots and edits are: establishing shots and extreme long shots to establish the setting; close-ups and extreme close-ups to develop an emotional connection early on in the film; quick cuts to create suspense and interest in the film(one group mentioned the use of a long take for the opening scene, this could work too as it would most likely force the viewer into engagement). In the case of the horror film, one student recommended that I use low-key lighting to instill fear and suspense in the opening scene; he says that I would not have to film at night to achieve this as its rather easy to edit in post-production. 
         While looking at other students' blog posts, I was able to attain some more ideas for future posts. In the future, I will make sure to create a shooting schedule, film opening outline, and scout out more potential filming locations.
          

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Getting Ready to Film

Post-Filming Thoughts and Reflection

Fonts